Churches, colourful fishermen's houses and aristocratic Palazzi
In 1700, with the end of pirate raids, the aristocratic families who lived protected inside the Castle abandoned it to move to the village and build the many beautiful Palazzi that still flank the main course of Ischia Ponte. With a
, it's easy to grasp the history of the village in its contrast between the coloured fishermen's houses and the large Palazzi, which alternate with watchtowers and public and religious buildings.
The churches also recount this social bipolarity with the age-old rivalry between the church owned by the fishermen (today the Chiesa dello Spirito Santo - Church of the Holy Spirit) and that of the Augustinian Friars (now the Cattedrale di Santa Maria Assunta – Cathedral of Our Lady of the Assumption): the unusual property of the fishermen if the village church, whose ownership has been passed down from father to son, began in 1600 and was financed with the proceeds of fishing to face the oppression of the Augustinian Friars against the weaker classes, giving them a place of worship and promoting mutual aid.
For a complete tour of the village, you can't miss a visit to the enchanting Aragonese Castle, which is privately owned and can be visited all year for a fee.